Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Work and Others

One notion I had of Americans going into this project is that they are mostly self-interested. I have met people that worked for non-profit organizations and I've met people who enjoy doing volunteer work, however I just felt that the majority of Americans are out for themselves with little regard for anyone else. This might stem from where I live, a place where people move to retire and mainly focus on themselves after a life of putting time in a career and most likely raising a family. So far, the people I have met on this trip have not only changed my original notions of self-centered Americans, but have also caused me to rethink what I plan to do for “work” in the future.

On Bourbon St. in New Orleans, Alex and I met a yogi from Berkley, CA who was there doing volunteer work for an organization that helps feed people. He reminded us that we are not our possessions and volunteer work also gives the volunteer some satisfaction. We also met a group of young men in Austin, TX who work for the organization Children International, which helps children living in poverty through sponsorships. One of these guys was taking time off from Masters work at Princeton and wanted to work in his off time. He said he didn't want to get a job at a restaurant but wanted to do something that would help other people, so he chose to move to Austin and give some of his time to the organization. We also met two men in Austin who work at a Radio Shack, and are starting a foundation to provide money for transportation for cancer patients who can't afford to travel for treatment. One of these men was a cancer survivor and wanted to start this organization because he had to make many sacrifices just to pay for the treatment he needed to survive. This was just a regular guy who worked at a mall in Austin who wanted to make sure that people didn't have to go through what he had to in order to survive at an already trying time in their life.

Meeting all of these people, among a few others that I am probably forgetting to mention, sort of restored my faith in the American people. I know that you shouldn't make generalizations about a whole country based on a few, especially a country with the diversity of the United States, however just these few people represent a greater group that care about something other than themselves. They make up a group of people who are not merely complainers, but “do-ers.” People who could do anything they wanted with their time, but choose to use it in ways that make a difference in the lives of others. These people reminded me that you can still live a satisfying life and help people at the same time. Your work can extend beyond yourself in numerous ways and it doesn't mean that you have to make harsh sacrifices.

Alex and I also met some artists that caused me to rethink the idea of work. When I think of people who make art for a living, I generally think that the majority of them are barely scraping by and living an unhappy life for the sake of their art. After speaking to a few artists in California, I realized this is not the case. Your quality of life does not have to suffer, you just have a different idea of living. Living more simply and caring less about material possessions so that you can do what you love to do is living a far happier existence than working at a job you hate in order to pay for things you hope will bring some sort of satisfaction to your life.

Meeting and speaking with these people has made me rethink my plans for the future. I assumed that the next obvious step after undergrad is to go to graduate school to earn my PhD because I want to teach at the university level, however now I am realizing there are so many other options. I want whatever I choose to do for work to extend beyond just myself or my small peer group. I realize that in teaching your work does extend beyond yourself. I have experienced the work of amazing professors that can provide inspiration just in their unyielding enthusiasm for the subject alone. However, I feel that this is not the only way for me to reach others through my work.

The artist inside of me wants to create, create, create! I want to explore film as a medium for opening eyes, minds and hearts. I want my work to blossom outside of academic journals. I want it to be in the minds and on the tongues of everyone who can watch and/or listen to my work, not just academics who's PhD's allow them access. I want a chance to affect anyone who will listen. I feel like if I do not at least try, then I have wasted a valuable opportunity.

“Work” is sort of an ugly word with not-so-pleasant connotations. I think that I've always tended to look at work as something that you do apart from the things you do that you enjoy and that matter to you. I now see that work can be something that brings you satisfaction while also extending much farther than yourself as it affects and inspires so many others. What I thought were my airtight plans for the future have been put into question as I realize I have so many routes to explore. Where that would have bothered me before because I am one who loves to plan and feels lost without an agenda, I think one thing this trip has taught me is that though plans are nice to have, sometimes things just need to happen. What's that saying? Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. Yeah, I like that.


(Sarah)

1 comment:

  1. It's good that this trip is opening up other avenues for you, I'm sure that it will be a life changing experience. Having the opportunity to see this great country of ours, and meet so many people from all walks of life, different backgrounds and upbringing and ways of looking at life in general. It's a good thing to have a plan, and plans can always change, but finishing your education should still be in there. No matter what you decide would be satisfying life's work, your education is something that no one can ever take away, and it's very difficult to try and go back later on, not impossible but difficult. Keep posting, I love reading it.
    K

    ReplyDelete